Kyoto University Doctoral Dissertation Database
- About the Kyoto University Doctoral Dissertation Database
- How to Search for Doctoral Dissertations
- Application for Access to Doctoral Dissertations
- Publication of Full-text Dissertations on Kyoto University Research Information Repository (KURENAI)
About the Kyoto University Doctoral Dissertation Database
- This database provides doctoral dissertations submitted to Kyoto University or, its predecessor, Kyoto Imperial University.
- Number of doctoral dissertations stored in the database: approx. 43,600 [Doctorate degree conferral from the foundation (1897) to Jan. 23, 2018] (Updated May. 9, 2018)
- Each record includes a request code, the date (year, month, date) of doctorate degree conferral, the doctorate degree number, the name of the author and its reading, the title in the text language, and titles in other languages.
How to Search for Doctoral DissertationsUse the search window at the top of this webpage or our KULINE system.
* Please note that search results may differ between the two methods.
- How to Use the Search Window on this Webpage
- Type in a title, author(s) and/or keyword(s) in the search field and click [Search].
- How to Use KULINE’s Basic Search
- Visit KU Libraries Online Catalog (KULINE) webpage.
Enter a keyword or keywords and click [Search].
* The search results include books, magazines, digital books, digital journals and other publications that match the search criteria in addition to doctoral dissertations.
In order to extract doctoral dissertations only, click on “Dissertations” displayed under Material Type in the Refined Search pane.
- How to Use KULINE’s Advanced Search
- Search Steps:
(1) Visit KU Libraries Online Catalog (KULINE) webpage.
(2) Click [Advanced Search].
(3) Check the “Dissertations” checkbox for Material Type.
(4) Search by keyword(s), title or author. Enter the appropriate information and click [Search].
Application for Access to Doctoral Dissertations
- Kyoto University Library archives all the doctoral dissertations submitted to Kyoto University since its establishment in 1897.
- Doctoral dissertations are treated as rare materials in Kyoto University Library, and as such, they require prior application in writing (designated application form).
※ Click here for details of the procedure.[Please direct your inquiries to: Circulation and Access Services Section (Call 075-753-2640)]
- To photocopy the part or the whole of any doctoral dissertation, Kyoto University Library requires the user to first obtain the author's permission in writing.※As a general rule, the permission must contain the author’s signature and seal (any format).[Please inquire at Interlibrary Access Desk (Call 075-753-2638)]
- The service is available on weekdays 9:00 through 11:45 and 13:00 through 16:45, and not on Saturdays, Sundays and national holidays.
- Some doctoral dissertations may be archived at different locations other than Kyoto University Library. Please read the following for details of availability and conditions of use (jpn only).
Publication of Full-text Dissertations on Kyoto University Research Information Repository (KURENAI)
- Part of the doctoral dissertations are available in full text in the Kyoto University Research Information Repository (KURENAI).
- The data for dissertations submitted from March 1958 to March 1988, since May 1998 also includes the abstract.
- If you have already obtained a doctorate degree and are willing to publish the full-text of your dissertation in the Kyoto University Research Information Repository (KURENAI), please read How to deposit your article in Kyoto University Research Information Repository (KURENAI) and contact us.
Academic Support Section, Academic Support Division, Kyoto University Library e-mail address: denjo660[a]mail2.adm.kyoto-u.ac.jp (Please replace "[a]" with "@".)