Weather Emergency Preparedness PolicyWhen a weather emergency (e.g. tropical cyclone) is expected , the Main Library of Kyoto University decides whether/when to close/reopen the library based on the following policy.
The library will close or change opening hours, if any of the following conditions applies.
- An Emergency Warning or Storm Warning (hereafter “Weather Warning”) for Kyoto City or a region including Kyoto City is issued by the Japan Meteorological Agency (Kyoto Local Meteorological Office).
- Kyoto City Bus suspends its service entirely.
- Three or more public transportation systems below suspend their service entirely or partly.
- JR-WEST (JR Kyoto Line, Biwako Line, Kosei Line, Nara Line and Sagano Line)
- Hankyu Railway (Kyoto-Kawaramachi - Osaka-Umeda)
- Keihan Railway (Demachiyanagi - Yodoyabashi/Nakanoshima)
- Kintetsu Railway (Kyoto - Yamato-Saidaiji)
- Kyoto City Subway
Please note that a decision to close the library might be made in an earlier phase when any of the above (1) to (3) conditions is highly expected.
In case of the condition (1), a decision whether/when to close/reopen the library will be made in the following ways.
Whether/when to close
When the issuance of Weather Warning is expected within about three hours during the opening hours of the library, the library will close in one to two hours. When Weather Warning has been issued by 6:30 a.m. on weekdays (7:30 a.m. on Saturdays, Sundays and national holidays), the library will not open at its usual opening time.
Whether/when to reopen
The library will reopen in about one and a half hours after Weather Warning is cancelled. (There might be a delay if more time is needed to prepare for the reopening.) If the reopening time is expected to be past 5:00 p.m. on weekdays (2:00 p.m. on Saturdays, Sundays and national holidays), the library will not reopen on the day.References: Japan Meteorological Agency Tropical Cyclone Information http://www.jma.go.jp/en/typh/ Weather Warnings/Advisories: Kyoto https://www.jma.go.jp/en/warn/333_table.html 【Main Library the Circulation Desk 2020.05.28 Last updated】