[Library Network] Warning: Large volume access using pre-read browser functions
Accessing large volumes of data over short periods of time during use of electronic journals, e-books, databases may be regarded as a breach of contract and thus result in suspension of access to such services for Kyoto University as a whole by their providers.
ref: Conditions of Use and Licensing Restrictions for E-Resources
There have been frequent recent occurrences of users unintentionally downloading or accessing large volumes of data using pre-read browser functions.
Pre-read browser functions continually access links within pages in the background while pages are being viewed. As a result of this, large volume data downloads or large volume access of which the user is unaware may occur, even if the user intends to use electronic journals in the standard way.
We request your cooperation in disabling these functions by making the below changes to your browser settings. Be aware that there have been many reports of this happening with Microsoft Edge in particular.
- Microsoft Edge
- Open Settings > Advanced Settings
- Set "Use page prediction to speed up browsing and improve reading view" to off.
- Internet Explorer 11
- Open Internet Options > Advanced tab
- Under "Browsing" uncheck the box "Load sites and content in the background to optimize performance"
- Google Chrome
- Open Settings > Show Advanced settings
- Set "Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly" to off.
- Type “about:config” in the URL bar and press Enter.
- If the “This might void your warranty” warning is displayed, click "I’ll be careful I promise"
- On the configuration screen double-click "network.prefetch-next" and set to "false."
- Safari (Mac)
- Open “Preferences” from the Safari menu bar
- On the “Search” tab uncheck “Preload Top Hit in the Background”
Electronic Resources Team:
- 9/23 updated [Library Network]The change of service measures to prevent spread of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) (2020-09-24)
- 【Online Workshop】How to use online reference management software"EndNote Basic"(9/29,13:30-) (2020-09-18)
- Service restored - [Maintenance] Kyoto University Rare Materials Digital Archive (September 16, 2020) (2020-09-10)
- 【Library Network : for faculty members】Request for recommendations of eBooks for student use in the second semester (2020-09-09)
- 8/26 updated [Library Network] Expanded access to e-resources during the COVID-19 outbreak (2020-09-01)
- [Service Restored][Library Network] Services provided by Library Network will be temporarily suspended on Sept. 6, 2020 (2020-08-18)
- 【附属図書館】終了しました：臨時自習室 空席情報のお知らせ (2020-08-17)
- [Library Network] Study Room available at the Clock Tower Centennial Hall (2020-08-06)
- 【Main Library】【Learning Support Desk】 July 13th - 22th "Online Report Workshop：Report, LaTeX, Document Management" (2020-08-06)
- Metadata of some collections in Kyoto University Digital Archive System "Peek" have been Released in KURENAI (2020-08-05)