[Library Network] Warning: Large volume access using pre-read browser functions
Accessing large volumes of data over short periods of time during use of electronic journals, e-books, databases may be regarded as a breach of contract and thus result in suspension of access to such services for Kyoto University as a whole by their providers.
ref: Conditions of Use and Licensing Restrictions for E-Resources
There have been frequent recent occurrences of users unintentionally downloading or accessing large volumes of data using pre-read browser functions.
Pre-read browser functions continually access links within pages in the background while pages are being viewed. As a result of this, large volume data downloads or large volume access of which the user is unaware may occur, even if the user intends to use electronic journals in the standard way.
We request your cooperation in disabling these functions by making the below changes to your browser settings. Be aware that there have been many reports of this happening with Microsoft Edge in particular.
- Microsoft Edge
- Open Settings > Advanced Settings
- Set "Use page prediction to speed up browsing and improve reading view" to off.
- Internet Explorer 11
- Open Internet Options > Advanced tab
- Under "Browsing" uncheck the box "Load sites and content in the background to optimize performance"
- Google Chrome
- Open Settings > Show Advanced settings
- Set "Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly" to off.
- Type “about:config” in the URL bar and press Enter.
- If the “This might void your warranty” warning is displayed, click "I’ll be careful I promise"
- On the configuration screen double-click "network.prefetch-next" and set to "false."
- Safari (Mac)
- Open “Preferences” from the Safari menu bar
- On the “Search” tab uncheck “Preload Top Hit in the Background”
Electronic Resources Team:
- Important: [Setup Manual available] E-Journal and Database Authentication System will Change (2022-11-30)
- [Workshop]Paper submission: Viewpoint of Academic Publishers (Dec 2 - 16) (2022-11-21)
- 【Library Network】 Library Workshop video clips are available. (2022-11-18)
- Service restored -[Maintenance] Kyoto University Rare Materials Digital Archive (Nov. 24) (2022-11-17)
- 【System】Trouble with KULINE "cross-search" (2022-11-16)
- [Restored] Trouble connecting to KULINE, the website of Kyoto Univ. Library Network , etc. (2022-11-16)
- Finished:[Maintenance] Library Network Service temporarily stop on Oct.23 (2022-10-21)
- [Library Network] Satisfaction survey for library uses at the remote site of Kyoto University (2022-10-13)
- [Advance Notice] Important: E-Journal and Database Authentication System will Change (2022-10-03)
- [Solved] (Updated 28 Sep.) Trouble: Designated plug-in for Google Chrome Temporarily Unavailable (26 Sep.) (2022-09-26)