Guide to Interlibrary Loan Services
- University members can make Interlibrary Loan (ILL) requests. 1. [Photocopy], 2. [Loan]
* It is not possible to make requests if the material is available in your home campus. In order to obtain such materials, please visit the holding library in person.
- Please read in advance "Guide to Kyoto University Library Network Online Services".
- Please be sure to logout, when you complete your request!
- Before ordering, please check by KULINE whether the material is available in your home campus.
- According to Japanese copyright law, photocopies may be made under the following conditions.
- A certain period of time has passed since the date of publication.
- Only a portion of a given book may be photocopied. (In principle, photocopying of an entire book is not permitted.)
- The purpose of photocopying is for research only.
- Some lending libraries require that borrowed materials be used in the borrowing library only or prohibited to copy.
- In order to obtain articles or borrow books, there is a charge as well as a wait period.
|Intercampus Loan Service||Interlibrary Loan Service|
|Charge||Photocopy||It costs 10-20 yen per page. Postage is free. *In some cases, it costs 60-80 yen per page in color.||It costs 35-60 yen per page in monochrome / 100-150 yen per page in color plus postage. Please note some libraries require additional charges.|
|Loan||No charge||Postage is required both ways. Please note some libraries require additional charges.|
|Wait period||It takes a few days to 1 week to obtain material. Wait period varies depending upon the lending library and materials requested.||It takes about 1 week to obtain material. Wait period varies depending upon the lending library and materials requested.|
1.How to apply
It is possible to make Interlibrary Loan online in the following ways.
|1) Search results of KULINE||When you search materials through KULINE and they are held in other campuses or in other universities, submit requests on search results page.|
|2) Kyoto University Article Linker (By using Databases)|
A Guide to KU Article Linker (Japanese only)
When you find materials through Databases (ex. CiNii, Web of Science), submit requests by using "KU Article Linker". For the user's convenience, bibliographic information will be copied automatically to the application form.
It is possible to make Interlibrary / Intercampus Loan requests through DOI/Pubmed search in the Kyoto University E-Journals List.
|3) Homepage of KULINE||When materials are not found through KULINE or Databases, submit requests on homepage of KULINE. Please enter a holding library if you know where materials you request are held (ex. National Diet Library).|
Below may be found a detailed description of each application method.
1) Request through Search Results of KULINE
- Visit KULINE
- Input the title of the material you are looking for, and then click [Search].
- When looking for journals, please be sure to check the "E-Journals List".
- When looking for materials published before the 1980's, please be sure to check the university union card catalog as well.
- "Search Results" or "Bibliography Details" will be displayed.
- When looking for journals, please be sure to check for libraries which hold the particular volume/number you require.
- →  When you find that materials are held in your campus, please visit the holding library to use them. However, if the material is not available (on loan, on binding, lost, lacking) in your home campus, it is possible to make a request to get the material from other campuses or other university libraries.
- →  When you find that materials are held in other campuses, click [Copy request] or [Loan Request] on the right side of the web page.(Go to "2.Login")
- →  When the materials are not found in Kyoto University, click [Other Univ.] tab and search for other university libraries.
- "NII Search Results" or "NII Bibliography Details" will be displayed.
→Click [Copy request] or [Loan Request] on the right side of the web page.
- In principle, journals can not be borrowed.
2) Request through KU Article Linker
- Visit the Kyoto University Database List.
- Search the article of which you would like to obtain a photocopy.
- Click found on the search result display. "List of databases which are connected to KU Article Linker (Japanese only)"
- "KU Article Linker" will be displayed. → Click KULINE and search if the materials are held in your campus.
→  When you find that materials are held in your campus, please visit the holding library to use them.
→  When materials are not found in your campus, go back to the "KU Article Linker" page.
- Click [Request This Article] or click [Submit] under [Still need help?] > [Request This Article via ILL] in order to request articles.
- "Receive External Data (Open URL)" will be displayed. → Click "Copy Request".
- You should write the name of databases you have searched in the "Notes" section at the bottom of the application form, so that the request can be processed smoothly.
3) Request through Homepage of KULINE
- At first, visit KULINE and search the materials you are looking for, in the same way as 1) Request through Search Results of KULINE.
- When materials are not found through KULINE, go to homepage and click [Copy request] or [Loan Request] on the left side of the homepage.
2.Login (This screen may not be displayed. Please go to the next step.)
- Put enter your ECS-ID or SPS-ID and password and click [Login].
- ECS-ID: For Students (i.e. a0******)
- SPS-ID: For Faculty and Staff Members (i.e. taro123kyodai)
- If you fail to login, please close the window.
- If you can not login, please ask Kyoto University Library KULINE Services WG.
3.Select Request Conditions (This screen may not be displayed. Please go to the next step.)
- "Select Request Conditions" will be displayed. Select a type of the material ( Books / Serials ) and click [Next].
- Books: borrowing a book or photocopy of a portion of a book
- Serials: photocopy of an article
4.Request Information Entry
- Material Information
- [Photocopy] Please make one order for each article. [Loan] Please make one order for each book.
- Please fill in the information details. If you can not fill in the column, please write "unknown". If the request information is not correct, wait time may be extended.
- Client Information
- When changing your registered phone number, please enter your preferred contact phone number.
- Request Information
- Apply Library: You will pick up materials at the applying library. Applying library varies from the faculty to which you belong as well as method of payment. Please see "List of Libraries which accept Interlibrary Loan Request / Kyoto University Library Network Online Services"
- Range: If you want to get materials from foreign libraries, please contact the apply library in advance.
- How to send: When requesting express mail, select "Express" in the pull down menu. (Extra charge required.)
- Restriction(Book only): Select whether you would like to cancel the request if the item is "in-library use only" or not. *"In-library use only" means that the item cannot be taken out of the library.
- Payment Method
- Private expense: Payment should be made when the users obtain the material.
- Public expense: Please select the "ILL" budget (i.e. **********-ILL). For payment at public expense, please ask your affiliated library.
- When requesting photocopies from other KU libraries in another campuses at public expense, you generally read the documents in PDF format.
- Material Information
- Please enter information that you would like to let us know like below examples
- Photocopy: (e.g.) Please make color copies of all colored images within the article.
Loan: (e.g.) I want to cancel this request if the item is in-library use only or prohibited to copy.
- If you have located the material in a specific library, please write it in detail.
(e.g.) National Diet Library NDL ONLINE, BL-OPAC, X university OPAC
(e.g.) Web of Science、PubMed、CiNii、Scopus
- When a material which is originally available at Kyoto University becomes unavailable for a certain reason (lost, on loan for a long period, library under construction), please write the reason in the notes section.
6.Finally, click [Submit].
- "Request Confirmation" will be displayed. After checking the request information, click [Submit].
- When changing the request information, click [Back to Entry].
- When canceling the request, logout.
- After submitting the request, you are required to pay a charge.
- It is possible to cancel the request through MyKULINE, if the request has not been processed.
- Please note, it is not possible to cancel the request if the request has been processed.
- Please check "7.How to check the request status".
6.After Completing Request
- "Request Completion Notification" will be displayed.
- Confirmation E-mail will be sent to your e-mail address.
- You can check the request status through MyKULINE.
- Please be sure to logout, when you complete your request!
- When the photocopies or books are ready to be picked up, notification will be made by E-mail. Please pick them up as soon as possible.
- Inquiries about the request should be made to the applying library. Please be sure to tell your request No.(i.e. IL******) as well.
7.How to check the request status
- You can check the request status on homepage of MyKULINE.
- Copy request list / Loan request list
- Click "Bibliography information" to check the request detail.
- You can cancel or delete requests. Please check the checkbox and click the button at the bottom of a screen.
- Copy request detail / Loan request detail
- You can cancel requests. Please check the checkbox and click the button at the bottom of a screen.
- You can cancel requests if the status is "Under application".
- You can delete requests from the list if the status is "Rejected", "Cancelled", "Received" or "Returned".
When you cannot make requests, please contact Kyoto University Library KULINE Services WG. Please give the following information.
- Your name and faculty
- When the trouble occurred
- Request information
- Content of the error message displayed
Please refer to the "KULINE-FAQ" also.
Online Services WG (ILL)
kuline at mail2.adm.kyoto-u.ac.jp