【Library Network : for faculty members】Request for recommendations of eBooks for student use in first semester AY2023
The Kyoto University Library Network provides students with eBooks for lectures and their studies.
We would like to ask for your recommendations of eBooks that you think would be useful for students in first semester AY2023.
Persons eligible to make recommendations
All Kyoto University faculty members (Including part-time lecturers)
eBooks eligible for recommendation
・eBooks that will be used for liberal arts and sciences (ILAS) courses in AY 2023, or that will be useful for students taking those courses.
・eBooks that will be used in undergraduate courses in AY 2023, or that will be useful for students taking those courses.
・eBooks that would be useful for undergraduate students studying at home.
*We will purchase books listed in syllabus of ILAS course sequentially. If you need eBook version, please make recommendation from the recommendation form. Not limited to first semester lectures.
* We cannot purchase eBooks which are not sold to academic institutions. Please refer to the list of titles which are sold to academic institutions at the URL below:
eBooks ineligible for recommendation
・Complete works, journals (including back numbers), newspapers
・Study guide, workbooks, self-help books and books of hobbies and practical use
・eBooks that extra costs will be charged next year (ex: contract maintenance fee, platform usage fee)
How to make a recommendation
Please use the recommendation form.
*If you wish to recommend more than one, please enter the titles in order of priority.
*eBooks purchased will generally only be accessible by one user at a time.
Deadline for recommendations
From January 27th, 2023 to February 28th, 2023.
*We will proceed with the purchase procedure in the order of recommendation acceptance in consideration of the budget situation.
Estimated date of availability
・eBooks will be available between mid-February and late March. Please check KULINE of their availability.
*The recommender will be informed only in the case if the recommended eBooks will not be able to be purchased.
Acquisition and Cataloging Section, Kyoto University Library
Email: shiryoseibi660 [@] mail2.adm.kyoto-u.ac.jp
・Titles which are already owned by Kyoto University can be searched via KULINE.
・List of titles which are available to academic institutions
Titles are sorted by platform and classified by type. Please use the classifications to narrow down the lists. Some titles are provided in multiple platforms
*Please note that the files are large, so downloading them may require some time.
*Due to the large size of the files, they may not be viewable on some smartphones and tablets.
[Japanse books] (Excel, approx. 25MB）
On-campus access only
・List1 Provided by the Maruzen eBook Library
・List2 Provided by the KinoDen
・Includes some non-Japanese books
(Excel, approx. 9.8MB）
On-campus access only
・List1 Provided by the Brill, the Cambridge, the Oxford, the Taylor & Francis, the Wiley, the World Scientific（titles published after 2017 only）
(Excel, approx. 93MB)
On-campus access only
・List1 Provided by the ProQuest eBook Central（titles published after 2017 only）
・Includes some Japanese books
・ All lists are last updated on July 2022.
・ Although the number of eBooks available to academic institutions is smaller than the number available to individuals, it still comprises a very large number of titles. The lists include only a partial selection of the eBooks that are available, so please do not hesitate to recommend eBooks that are not included in the lists, and we will check their availability.
Your help and cooperation is greatly appreciated. Your recommendations help us to enhance our eBook collection, and will also be used as reference when requesting publishers to provide digital versions of their books.
This is a list of spaces for self-study for those who belong to the university. Please use this list to find a suitable area for your learning.
- There are various spaces where you can take online classes, have discussions, and use them in groups.
- There is also a self-study space other than the library/library room.
- ※Please contact the Career Support Center for web interviews and activities related to job hunting.
From April 2023, the E-Journal and Database Authentication System will be changed from the "dedicated plug-in" method to a new system using the cloud-based proxy server service.
Please refer to "3. How to set up and use the new authentication system", and set up the new authentication system by the end of March 2023.
If you are using the “dedicated plug-in” on Google Chrome, please set up the new authentication system by January 2023, as the current plug-in may not be available at the end of December 2022.
1. System Overview
- The new authentication system uses a cloud-based proxy server service that acts as an intermediary between the user and the e-journals/databases.
Through the new authentication system, you can access e-journals and databases not only from within the university but also from off-campus.
- Single sign-on with ECS-ID/SPS-ID is possible by linking with Kyoto University Integrated Authentication System.
2. Changes from the current “dedicated plug-in” system
- The new system will be available on Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox as well as Microsoft Edge and Safari.
- The new system will be available on smartphones and tablet devices.
- By clicking the bookmarklet on the e-journal or other website and authenticating with your ECS-ID/SPS-ID, you will be able to access the full-text contents via the new authentication system.
3. How to set up and use the new authentication system
Please refer to the following for details on how to set up and use (supported browsers).
Please note that if you do not agree the terms and conditions for the new authentication system at the first time, you will not be able to access most of the e-journals and databases.
- Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox (Windows)
- Safari (Mac)
- Safari (iPad), Safari (iPhone)
- Google Chrome (Android)
- Bookmark the new authentication system (Bookmarklet) *First time only per browser
- Access to e-journals, e-books and databases
- Click on the bookmarklet of the new authentication system
- Authenticate with the Kyoto University Integrated Authentication System
- Access the full text contents of e-resources, etc.
- Close your browser to log out of the new authentication system
- For details, please refer to the following URL
- Links from "KULINE (Kyoto University Library Catalog), Discovery, KU ArticleLinker, E-journals and E-books List, Databases List" to the e-resources will be set up sequentially to go through the new authentication system by April 2023. Please use the bookmarklet if the URL is not rewritten when you access the e-resources.
4. Schedule for transition
- November 30, 2022-: The new authentication systems setup period (available)
- January 1, 2023-March 31, 2023: Both the current (Mozilla Firefox version only) and the new system will be available
- April 1, 2023-: Complete migration to the new authentication system (End of use the current plug-in system)
For inquiries, please contact:
E-Resources team, Kyoto University Main Library
Due to system maintenance, Ebook Central will be temporarily unavailable.
We are sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.
Period：from 12:00 to 17:00 on January 8, 2023 (JST)
[Main Library Academic Support Section]
From January 2023, Visible Body will be replaced by Visible Body Web Suite.
Please create an account and access from the new URL.
*We recommend accessing Visible Body Web Suite via the new authentication system.
Visible Body Web Suite: https://websuite.visiblebody.com/
Visible Body Web Suite | Kyoto University Library Network Database List
[Workshop] Paper submission: Viewpoint of Academic Publishers
Kyoto University Library Network provides the workshops for submitting your paper Please feel free to join us!
Date: Dec.2(Fri) - Dec.16(Fri), 2022
Place: The lectures are held online (through Zoom or Web Ex).
Reservation: Click here to make a reservation.
-Please register by 17:00 one day before the each date.
*The language of the lectures: Japanese
*The lectures will be recorded and open to the member of Kyoto University afterward.
Route Map level: (4)Use and disseminate information suitably, Practical Research
※Route Map for Supporting Academic Information Literacy by Kyoto University Library Network
Date and Contents:
Date: 2022/12/2 Fri. 17:00-18:00
Speaker: Miki Kumagai (Clarivate)
アクセプトされる論文を書くために重要な研究の進め方や、 Web of ScienceやEndNoteなどのツール活用による効率的な論文執筆フローをご紹介します。
Date: 2022/12/9 Fri. 17:00-18:00
Speaker: Elsevier Japan
Date: 2022/12/16 Fri. 17:00-18:00
Speaker: Main Library Staff
User Support Section, Main Library
Email: ref660 [at] mail2.adm.kyoto-u.ac.jp
[User Support Section, Main Library]
Library online services and E-journals, Databases is available during new year holidays: 2022/12/29 - 2023/01/03.
But then, user support section will be closed. Sorry for inconvenience.
Please contact from here: Contact Form
[Trial] “Database of Chinese Classic Ancient Books 中国基本古籍庫” will be available from your browser in January 2023. [Trial from January to March 2023. Full operation from April 2023.]
The database “Database of Chinese Classic Ancient Books中国基本古籍庫” will be available from a browser on any PC terminal in the campus environment in January 2023. The software version will no longer be available on January 6.
Access - 10
*Trial from January to March 2023. Full operation from April 2023.
Institute for Research in Humanities Library
Please replace (at) with @.
Iwanami Shoten has produced an extensive range of publications should be read by university students .
Kyoto University Library network provides Iwanami Shoten’s “Gendaijin-no-Kyoyo” package as e-books.
The package contains 700 titles which are selected from Iwanami-Bunko, Iwanami-Shinsho, Iwanami-Gendai-Bunko, Iwanami-Junior-Shinsho and Iwanami-Kagaku-Library.
You can read the titles via Maruzen eBook Library platform. Let’s access and read some.
List of Titles
*Click a title to check the detail of the book. Click a link in “Bibliography Details” section to jump to the Maruzen eBook Library Platform.
How to use
1 Access via on-campus network.
2 Search by the specific title of an e-book or browse.
3 Click 読上 button to transit a screen, then, click 読む button to start reading.
4 Some e-books are available as e-audiobooks. If you want to listen, click “Speak” button.
5 When you finish reading, close the page.
*Users guide of Maruzen eBook Library viewer (Japanese only).
・You cannot print and download the e-books.
・If accessing e-books from off-campus, please click here.
Kyoto University Library Electronic Resources Section.