[Library Network] Kyoto University Rare Materials Digital Archive: 70 titles from Daiso-bon owned by the Main Library newly digitized and released
Seventy titles from Daiso-bon owned by the Main Library have been newly digitized and released in the Kyoto University Rare Materials Digital Archive.
Daiso-bon is a collection of books formerly owned by Daiso (大惣), a book lender run by Sohachi Onoya (大野屋惣八) and his family in Nagoya from the middle of the Edo period to the middle of the Meiji period. Book lenders at the time usually kept books in high demand in their stock and sold the ones out of fashion away to buy new ones. Daiso, however, had a policy not to sell away books they had bought and increased their inventory until the end of the Edo period when they became the largest book lender in Japan. After the arrival of mass production of books in the Meiji period, many book lenders disappeared, Daiso being no exception. Around 1898, Daiso decided to close the business and sold its enormous inventory of 16,734 titles of books, most of which were acquired by the Imperial Library (current National Diet Library), Tokyo Imperial University, Kyoto Imperial University, the Higher Normal School (current University of Tsukuba). Daiso Collection owned by Kyoto University amounts to 3,667 titles, or 13,081 volumes.
Kyoto University started digitizing Daiso-bon in academic year 2020 under the “Project to Build an International Collaborative Research Network for Pre-modern Japanese Texts” by the National Institute of Japanese Literature in which Kyoto University Library participates. This time, 70 titles from that work have been released.
As of November 11, 2020, the Digital Archive provides 1,404,838 images of 17,758 titles.
- 【Online Workshop】23rd, April 14:00- "How to use KULINE" (2021-04-14)
- 【Online Workshop】22nd, April 17:00- "Tips on Application for JSPS Research Fellowship for Young Scientists (DC)" - Learning Support Desk presents - (2021-04-14)
- 【New Database Available】Lexis, Oxford English Dictionary Online, ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global, Waka &Haikai Library (2021-04-12)
- [Main Library] Rare Materials exhibited outside Kyoto University during AY2020 (2021-04-08)
- Service restored -[Maintenance] Kyoto University Rare Materials Digital Archive (April 12, 2021) (2021-04-06)
- 【Library Network】New post on our website: Open access / open science support : Open access to research results (papers and research data), bulletins, and rare materials (2021-04-01)
- (日本語) 【図書館機構】2021年度図書館機構 新入生歓迎企画「京大図書館、はじめの一歩」 (2021-04-01)
- Maintenance: JDream III (Apr. 3) (2021-03-26)
- [Library Network] Kyoto University Rare Materials Digital Archive: New post on our website: How to make rare materials open access (2021-03-25)
- [Maintenance]Library Network Service (Online request and MyKULINE services on KULINE for mobilephone and KULINE Application) will be suspended between 8:00 and 13:00 on March 25th, 2021 (2021-03-24)