[Library Network] Kyoto University Rare Materials Digital Archive: 249 Nijo Castle Documents of Nakai Collection newly released
Among plans and other documents of Nakai Collection, 249 items regarding Nijo Castle were digitized and publicized in the digital archive under the joint project with Kyoto City in academic year 2017. The investigation of the materials to compile bibliographic data was conducted by Nijo Castle Office of Kyoto City and researchers of Faculty of Letters, Kyoto University and Kyoto University Museum, while Kyoto University Library created the digital images of the materials and publicized them on February 27, 2018.
Kyoto University Rare Materials Digital Archive: Nijo Castle Documents
Nijo Castle, built by Tokugawa Ieyasu, founder of the Tokugawa Shogunate, in 1603, underwent large-scale remodeling from 1624 to prepare for Emperor Go-Mizunoo’s visit to the castle in 1626. The rare materials digitized this time are indispensable for the research of Nijo Castle and the history of Kyoto, because these are the plans and other documents regarding Nijo Castle handed down in the Nakai Family, a Tokugawa Government's master carpenter family in Kyoto. Some of the plans have many small papers attached to them, which show the changes in the arrangement of the rooms as a result of the remodeling in the 17th century.
Many rare materials, after a long period of time, have become too fragile to make them physically available to the public and, in order to preserve them for the future generations, the use of the actual materials should be limited. For example, maps and plans depicted on large sheets of paper require a large space to unfold them and careful handling. Kyoto University Rare Materials Digital Archive provides open access to the digital images of such materials in high definition with convenient functions, such as smooth zooming in and out.
Nakai Collection also includes other valuable materials: plans of Kyoto Imperial Palace, temples, shrines and other architectures in Kyoto, and other documents related to the Nakai Family. Kyoto University will continue our effort to promote open access to these important rare materials.
- 【学内向け・重要】電子ジャーナル・データベースへのアクセス方法が変わります(2019年10月から) (2019-07-19)
- [Library Network] Summer Libary Hours 2019 (2019-07-19)
- Solved:[Login Trouble]Mobile KULINE, KULINE for Smartphone (2019-07-19)
- [Maintenance]Library Network Service (KULINE etc.) will be suspended from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. on July 19 (2019-07-18)
- 【図書館機構】2019年度前期試験期間 開館時間拡大のお知らせ (2019-07-01)
- [Library Network] Kyoto University Rare Materials Digital Archive: Important Cultural Property "Dainihonshi hensan kiroku" (G.S. Letters) newly released (2019-07-01)
- (日本語) 【附属図書館講習会】 論文投稿で後悔しないために(7/8, 15:00-) (2019-06-28)
- [Library Network]Research Information Repository Operational Guidelines were revised (2019-06-19)
- 【Main Library】24th - 28th June "Report Workshop：Report・LaTeX・PowerPoint・Document Management・Numerical Simulation・ Experiment Report」 - Learning Support Desk presents - (2019-06-12)
- [Maintenance]Library Network Service (KULINE etc.) will be suspended from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. on June 18 (2019-06-11)