How to use e-resources
last updated : 2020/07/01
In order to access e-resources, such as e-journals, e-books and databases, the installment of a designated plug-in is required.
This plug-in allows you to be authenticated to access e-resources from the campus and even from home without other change of settings of your PC or network.
Please note that some e-resources do not allow you to use via remote access under the contracts Kyoto University Library signs with providers.
You can check the details of contracts here.
Please note that you cannot access most of e-resources from a browser without the plug-in.
The Purpose of the e-Journal and Database Authentication System
Please refer to the Guide to e-Journal and Database Authentication System.
OS : Windows,Mac OS or Linux
Browser : Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox
How to Install / Use
Please make sure to read the following documents before installing the plug-in.
Guide to "e-Resources Access Authentication System" Firefox-en(ECS-ID/SPS-ID required)
Guide to "e-Resources Access Authentication System" Google Chrome-en(ECS-ID/SPS-ID required)
https://ninsho-log4.kulib.kyoto-u.ac.jp/plugin/plugin_faq_en.pdf (ECS-ID/SPS-ID required）
Download Site of the Plug-in
１．The plug-in doesn't support access from other browsers or devices than the above mentioned to which the plug-in cannot be installed, such as smartphones and tablet devices (iOS/Android).
２．Please do not activate reference management software, while you are accessing e-resources using the plug-in, because the plug-in doesn't support the use of such software. (The plug-in might interrupt the function of some reference management software, such as EndNote desktop, to import data from e-resources platforms.)
３．When you use one of PC terminals equipped in Satellite Classrooms and Open Space Laboratories (OSL), you can access e-resources by clicking a shortcut "Mozilla Firefox (e-resources)".
４．If security software ESET is installed on your PC, please make the following settings.
*The following is the operation method of ESET Endpoint Security windows version. The procedure varies depending on the product.
- Start ESET, click "Setup" on the left menu, and click "Advanced setup" on the bottom right.
- Click "Network protection" on the left menu, then click "Firewall" on the left menu.
- Select "ADVANCED" on the right menu and click "Edit" in "Zones".
- Click "Add", enter "EJDB authentication system" in the top "Name", enter "188.8.131.52" in the bottom "Remote computer address (IPv4, IPv6, range, mask)", and click "OK". Click "OK".
- Click "Web and Email" on the left menu, and click "Edit" on the right menu "Excluded IP addresses".
- Click "Add", enter "184.108.40.206" in the input field, and click "OK" and "OK".
- Click "OK" and click "Yes" if "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" is displayed.
How to use e-resources via KUINS-VPN remote access service
When you use a PC browser installed plug-in, you don't need to set up other setting.
When you try to access by other devices, you can access a part of e-books or databases via KUINS-VPN remote access service.
Please refer to the IIMC webpages "Connection from Off-campus" below.
To check if your setting is successful, click the below please.
- On-campus environment judgment page
- If the error message is displayed, you wouldn't have completed your setting yet. Please check the setting again.
If you can not resolve the problem by your own, please contact IIMC Help Desk.
How to check the licence of e-resources
2. ...And check if Remote Access is allowed or not.
- ◎Yes : Remote access is allowed.
- ×No : Remote access is not allowed.
- (Blank) : Unknown = Remote access is not recommended.